Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Another week: thank the gods

It's been another short week full of long days. Isn't it weird how time gets? Especially now I have kids.
Anyway, we're running out of things to do inside, so thank all the gods that may or may not be out there that the weather's improved. Thursday and Friday were normal and cold, and we did lots of watercolor painting (mostly trying to remind Dunc that it goes water, paint, paper) and learning about scissor safety. Gotta learn the rules. Stay at the table, no fingers by scissors, if you're not cutting paper the scissors belong on the table. Also dancing to the usual songs -- Istanbul, Particle Man, Birdhouse in Your Soul, Don't Let's Start by TMBG. Also a selection of Gorillaz, that Crowded House song, and Dunc's finally getting into some Cure. (Boys Don't Cry mostly.)
On Saturday I went to work as usual. Got all hopped up on coffee and argued with this really old guy about whether or not black people are just bad and lazy cuz it's in their blood. I got sorta pissed -- he went on to say badness just runs in the blood and no matter what color you are if your parents are bad you will be, too. Then he laughed about it. Whatever. He's crazy. But he also can tell me good stories about what life was like during WWII. Very interesting.
Sunday I was grumpy from the time I got outta bed. So I did something I've not done in a LONG time. I dug out my old walkman and my copy of "The Siket Disc" (Phish) and I went for a walk. I was surprised that my walkman worked, I haven't used it since the Pizza Shop Days. I was even more surprised that my tape actually played, as it's been buried under a years worth of crap in the back of my car. The walk was good, it was relaxing as I remember walking around Medina for hours was when I was 18. Later that day, I put Riley down for a nap and took Dunc for a walk. We saw a disembodied bird head on the sidewalk, and Dunc poked it with a stick. Then I decided to turn when Dunc didn't want to take, and he cried for three blocks. Then, we saw another dead bird -- a blue jay. Dunc didn't want to poke this one. He said it would say "chirp chirp" if he did. Even when I nudged it with a shoe, he wanted nothing to do with it. So we walked the three blocks home. And when we got back, Dave was gimping around with a broken toe and a crying babe.
Monday we stayed in the house because I didn't believe it was really nice outside.
Tuesday Riley had a doc appointment, and it was pretty nice out. So I sent Terra a text and we met up at Kalidascope Park in Wadsworth to play. My foolish self forgot about wind, so we didn't bring jackets. I ended up with Ri in the Mei Tai with a fitted crib sheet that I found in the car wrapped around her, and Dunc wearing an old knit hat of mine. Still, Dunc and Sasha had a pretty good time. The doc was running about a half an hour behind, so we all ran across town to Wendys, where Dunc and I shared a 10-piece nugget meal. Yeah, I know, fast food is bad. But I think once every few months is fine. Everything in moderation, right? We even had rootbeer. The doc appointment went well. Riley Jean weighs 20 lbs and 7 ounces, and she's nearly 28 inches long. We're gonna need a new carseat for her soon, ours only goes to 29 inches. I have no idea where to get a rear-facing seat that will hold a long baby. We'll have to research. Eventually.
Today started off rough, but after a really nice nap (during which I had some horrid dreams) we came over here really early and got Dunc and Riley and Ari out running in the field across the street. We played ball and practiced sharing and stopping when I said to stop (there's a big dropoff.) Now my mom's taking orders for Mexican food (YUM) and I have to hurry this up cuz G needs to use the computer before she goes to driving school.
I was going to write something about love, in honor of Valentine's Day. Maybe next week. So until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment